Monday, April 5, 2010

On the Road


The sun is going down. The time is changing. I have changed. And I'm happy about it. Im at a very interesting place in life. Life has taught me a lot over these last 12 years of being on the road. I've learned a lot about love, women, hard work, friendship, and everything else in between. I am becoming the man and father that I want to be. And I know the two are different, that in itself has been a struggle for me, and I'm excited to see where both of them take me. I've seen more than most see in a lifetime. I've hurt more souls than anyone should ever in a lifetime. Most importantly, I've learned from my mistakes and from all the good doings.
I have never been to college, but I've got an education that is priceless. I've never seen the liberty bell in Philadelphia, but I can tell you where Lorenzo's pizza shop on South street in Phillly is. And if you want the best slice of thin crust cheese pizza on this planet, you can go there and get two slices and a coke and it will still only run you about $5. I could sit down in a coffee shop in Athens, Greece and have a conversation with someone in my generation, and it wouldn't be about politics or global warming or how fucked we are right now as a people, but can gush and over flow on how great "Turn on the Bright Lights" by Interpol is.
As I was writing this I was with our monitor engineer Phrogg, and i was the morning DJ before we took the ferry from Belfast to Manchester. Phrogg being more than close to 30 years older than me in age, I can still show him music from his youth that I have discovered throughout my travels and even introduce him to music from 3 decades ago he never knew existed. When I put it on, it brings a nod to his head and a smile to his face. I could keep up my traveling career and find more bars and great places to eat and build more great relationships out here on the road, but I'd like to try something new. I know the memories will always be there and the road will always be me. The road is what I've been. It has been my identity and my escape. It's now easy to go on the road, and I much prefer challenges. You can always run away from life on the road, you can always hide from your l loved ones, your hated ones, the ones that adore you, and the ones you scathe.
Now I'm on to something new. It will take time and patience, which is difficult for me. But time is on my side. To be honest, I've always struggled with time. Maybe its because time is so powerful. TIme is a beautiful and frightening all at the same time, and it's something to be respected. I'm glad I have these memories in my heart and in my mind. I've met the most amazing, beautiful, talented, and gifted people one could ever know. But the time has come to move on. Do I know what is next yet? No, but I'll know what it is when I get there.

-On the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment