Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tour: Its the little things in life






Touring never really changes. I used to tour 6 months out of the year in a 15 passenger van, sharing 2 hotel rooms between 11 people, and living off $10/ day . Now I travel on a tour bus with 11 people, stay in 5 star hotels with my own room, and live off of $45/ day. In reality, it's the same gig though. I used to think of all the bands that were "cool" and had it together - making money or just well known and touring in arenas. I thought when doing huge events that things would just be so smooth and PRO all the time. Let me tell you, they are not! I'm not one to complain, just voicing my opinion.

Day sheets are a thing of the past I guess. Day sheets give you running times and the schedule of the day's happenings, and I can usually only find one everyday in the venue. Only one! And it's usually in front of the production office. Good place for it huh? At least they know what's going on. hmmmmm. This is opposed to how it should be done, with them plastered throughout the venue so you never have to think twice about where you are, what the wireless code is, what time lunch is, what time the show starts.... You know, the basics. And to me this is a big deal because when you have these things posted, you never have to ask anyone any stupid questions, such as, "what time are doors?" The last thing they want is some drum tech walking into their offices asking for the wireless code to the building, let's be honest now. To me this is basic 101 touring that should be done on all levels, and as my journey continues into the huge world of music, touring, and entertainment, I'm finding out what really goes on.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved staying at the King George Palace in Athens, Greece, but it'll cost you 10 euro to wash one shirt. I miss staying at a Super 8 sometimes because at least you can do all your laundry for 10 bucks while sitting in the hallway drinking a Coke and eating chips. It's just kind of funny to me. I love it though - every part of the road - the amazing people you meet, the terrible food you eat, the wonderful little cafe you hang out in and make your own.... These are the things you miss a lot on the road, like just sitting down at a coffee shop and having mindless conversation like I do so much when I am not on the road.

The tour is about half through at the moment and going well. We just spent a few days in Finland and Norway. We were in Bergen, Norway for 3 days, and I really enjoyed the time spent there, but I'm happy to be leaving and embrace the rest of the countries I've never been to. I'm in Copenhagen today. First time in Denmark. Then back to Germany, followed by 2 days off in Amsterdam and 2 days off in Liverpool, England. I'm excited about going to the UK for the fact that it will be my first visit to England ever.

...Coffee break is over, back to work.

"It feels good to know you're mine now drive me far. Away. I don't care where just far away"
-Chino Moreno


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your post. Keep on enjoying the road, my friend. I hope to one day join you in the touring world that extends beyond the US and Oz!

    Best,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete